Few days back I faced the issue with Windows Update. A red cross mark comes in Windows Update and when I tried to click on the Update button, I’m greeted with this message –
Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.
And upon restarting as well, I’s greeted with same message. It’s very bad situation to be in (of course for those who’re using legit version on Windows), and I’s not able to figure out any method to update my OS and software. Have you also been in this situation ever? Well, then there is a good news – I finally figured out the way to make Windows update work again.
Just follow these steps:
- Click Start button and type services.msc in it. A service window will open up.
- Now look for Windows Update entry in it.
- Right click on Windows Update and select Stop. Don’t close service window as you’ll need it in some time.
- Now head over to C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution.
- Delete all the files in this folder (don’t worry it’s safe and won’t harm your PC in any way).
- Go to service window and right click on Windows Update and this time choose Start.
Now you’re done. Just click Start button and type Windows Update and you’ll see you can update without any hitch!